The vagina and vulva is home to millions of bacteria. Their balanced existence is vital for female health. The role of the vaginal microbiota is to maintain an acidic environment and prevent an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria (bad bacteria). However, if this balance gets disrupted, the bad bacteria will take over and cause disease. The most common ones are BV (Bacterial Vaginosis) and yeast infections.
Here are 10 solutions for maintaining a healthy vaginal microbiota and preventing disruptions:
1. Use Antibiotics Wisely: If prescribed antibiotics, consider taking probiotics containing Lactobacillus strains to help restore beneficial bacteria.
2. Maintain Hormonal Balance: Discuss hormonal changes with a healthcare provider. They can provide guidance on hormone replacement therapy or alternative treatments to support vaginal health.
3. Avoid Douching: Skip vaginal douches, as they can disrupt the natural balance of the microbiome.
4. Choose Hygiene Products without Harsh Chemicals: Opt for natural and organic intimate care products that are free from harsh chemicals and foaming agents. Many conventional cleansers contain irritants that can disrupt the vaginal microbiome. Natural, chemical-free products are gentler and support a healthy microbial balance.
5. Practice Safe Sex: Use barrier methods like condoms to reduce the introduction of new bacteria during intercourse. Be sure to choose condoms without harsh chemicals or irritants.
6. Use a Lubricant: Lubricants reduce friction during sexual activity. This can help prevent micro-tears and irritation in the vaginal tissues, which can create openings for harmful bacteria to enter. Choose a natural lubricant to minimize potential disruptions to the vaginal environment. Wet Lips Caring Glide contains prebiotics to support the natural microbiota balance.
7. Opt for Organic and Natural Menstrual Products: Consider using organic cotton tampons or menstrual cups, which can help maintain a healthy pH and reduce the risk of irritation.
8. Manage Stress: Practice stress-reducing techniques like mindfulness, yoga, or deep breathing exercises. This can help support a healthy immune system and hormonal balance.
9. Maintain a Balanced Diet: Consume a diet rich in fiber, probiotics, and prebiotics to support overall gut and vaginal health. This includes foods like yogurt, kefir, fermented vegetables, and whole grains.
10. Stay Hydrated: Proper hydration supports bodily functions, including the maintenance of a healthy microbiome.
Cleansing + Moisturising Oil Prebiotic + Postbiotic is the first intimate care product to receive the Kind to Biome mark, meaning it's tested and proved not to disrupt the microbiome.